The other day I was thinking about how quickly 2014 has flown right by us.
I started thinking about my objectives for the year (aka resolutions..haha) and I met two of mine completely without trying. One of my resolutions was to live a healthier lifestyle and workout more frequently. I was able to accomplish this resolution just by setting aside 30 minutes- 1 hour a day. Now.. I can't imagine not going to the gym or having that time just to myself everyday.
The second goal i met was traveling more. It's not that i planned more trips this year... it's just that I made the jump when the opportunity presented itself. I traveled to NYC for work and extended my stay just so I can breathe in the beautiful city that I love and truly experienced it on a deeper level. I had no plans and as a result was able to see more of the city than i had on my previous trips. I went to Hawaii with family which I planned out with a set budget.. trust me it wasn't easy but ShawnVoyage.com definitely helped me out. Then I made a trip to Chicago since I had friends there and a free place to stay. This year I have definitely learned you can travel several times a year and still stick to your budget. No more staycations!
So here's the kicker.. I am hoping i can take a Euro-trip next summer!
Ideally I am planning on visiting Italy, France and Spain.
I have had the privilege of traveling Internationally since i was less than a year old so below are some pointers on traveling internationally and what i would do if i visited Milan, Italy!
Some Research I conducted on Milan:
- Milan is one of Italy's most dynamic, international and industrial cities.
- In comparison to other cities in Italy it has a more urban, modern mood which means fewer tourists.
- Milan has a reputation for being the World's fashion capital.
1. Language Barrier
I am leaving this as number one because it it very important to learn the language and cultural differences before you start packing! Are you okay with the countries culture? I definitely recommend using a site or resource like Rosetta stone to brush up on some language before you visit a country like Italy. I would also recommend trying out e-books and the below sites. You can always find free resources in the app store and online to save your precious dollars. The end goal is to be well versed enough in the language so you can get around and not be insensitive to the culture and language. You never know which corner you will turn.
- Smartling.com also has a translation software that's super helpful!They provide all types of translation services.
- I always stick by my rule of eating local! Immerse yourself in the culture and seriously... who doesn't love Italian!
- With its warm weather, thin crowds and relatively lower airfare, April is one of the best months to plan a trip to Italy.
- Although Spring is a great time to travel to Milan it is important to note they have spring showers so a light jacket is essential for packing.
It's important to know Milan's reputation as the World's fashion capital.
Milan just recently finished having Fashion week back in September so keeping up to date with the latest trends is something to be mindful of.
Here is what I would pack if I were going soon:
- Milan showed ton's of 70's fashion! Which is great. There were skinny jeans and NORMCORE pants. Which is a huge relief because now we can wear comfortable yet stylish jeans without having to suffocate inside skinnies during a trip.
- The below styles are comfortable and super on trend this season
- I also always like to stick to neutrals in general but specifically when traveling. That way everything matches!
- A light jacket most likely consisting of a tailored light trench coat is ideal, on trend and very versatile for a trip.
- Blacks, whites, and pops of color were all over the runways. Sticking close to classy tailored pieces will not only help keep packing to a minimum but also help in coordinating the pieces together.
- Scarfs are always essential for traveling- luckily they were on the runways and ideal for weather in Milan.
- Lots of shiny prints and sequins were on the runway so i would grab a sequin number i already have for going out at night! Maxy dresses were also very prevalent on the runway and are super comfortable for trips.
- Milan is no exception. Keep shoes to what's comfortable. Don a cute pair white sneakers that will go with everything. Oxfords were big trend on the runway along with gladiators and chunky heels. In general the shoes were more on the comfort side this year and completely wearable. I personally take one pair of sandals,a sneaker which i wear and a dressed up shoe in this case a thicker chunky heel or wedge for the night out.
- Don't spend money here trying to buy clothes, accessories. You want to do your shopping there.
- Did i mention fashion enough? You want to get your clothes at local boutiques. Remember you can always bring it back and get it tailored later.
- I learned the hard way to not spend money on souvenirs. Buying one great item that you can use back home is better than a bunch of items that will just take up space in your luggage.
- Speaking of luggage- stick to a carry on- you can replace it easily and you can always buy luggage in Milan! Less is More.
- Eat local- eat where the locals like to eat. There are so many useful apps these days that can save us time and money.
Hope you all enjoyed my advices and thoughts on what a trip to Milan would be like.
I have wanted to visit Italy since I was little so I hope to execute this plan soon.
I'm always open to feedback so let me know what you would suggest for my trip to Italy. :)
I would love to get more advice before my trip!
Merry Christmas everyone!!! I was finally able to squeeze in some time to blog my review on the Violet Voxbox i received from Influenster a few weeks ago. Long story short (who am i kidding the story is never short with me) I had guests from New Zealand and Chicago and then a family member had surgery and I was basically a mom, maid, chauffer and caretaker all while having a full time job. Let me tell you I do not think being a mom is easy whatsoever! You get ZERO sleep. It's also very hard to be a people pleaser and get gifts for everyone on your list when your running around all the time.
Anyways on to my review!!!
This is what i received in my Violet Voxbox- also posted on my IG @misslada:
The VioletVoxBox GOODIES!
1. Not Your Mothers Clean Freak Dry Shampoo:
So I am not a huge fan of dry shampooing.. I just have to wash my hair everyday otherwise i feel dirty. However i love using dry shampoo for days my hair feels flat and i need a little "oomph" to my do. You get me?
The ONLY dry shampoo I've liked before this one is Paul Mitchell Dry Wash. (You need to try this if you're a dry shampooer BTW)
Anyways i love that i finally tried a drugstore dry shampoo and actually enjoyed using it. The smell is "Fresh" and it leaves my hair with lots of volume!
I can only imagine what it does for people that need to aborb oil.
Final thoughts: Thumbs up since I know I'll be making this a staple in my bathroom. Yay drugstore products that work!
2. Goody Athletique Quick Dry hair band
I gave this one a test run and cycle..haha. I put it on threw my hair in a bun and went to the gym!
So background first. I have tried so many brands of headbands since I need these for yoga (have to keep those sweaty strands out of your face). I use headbands to keep my hair off my face, avoid pimples caused by sweat running down my face and so i can look cute (well sometimes).
I completely recommend this product if you workout, practice yoga or anything that makes you sweaty. Although i wasn't a total fan of the color.. I did love that
1. It kept the long strands off my face.
2. Kept my ears warm on the way to the gym
3. It's not tight! The head wraps at the back of your neck and you can easily adjust and customize to the size and tightness you need. I didn't notice i had it on till i had to go shower. Now that's impressive for a headband!
Overall: Thumbs up! YAY Goody! I will repurchase- in diff colors of course.
3. MJ Clay Spa Mask
Alright, Spa time! When i saw i got a face mask i freaked because I just LOVE Spa Masks. I love the ones from LUSH Cosmetics all the way to the ones at Target that are $1-2.
This spa mask is the kind you actually fold out and place on your face. Please note picture above.
What I did: I put on the mask for 15 minutes after a warm shower. Rinsed my face with warm water and pat dry with a soft towel.
Results: a beautiful soft, clean face with a GLOW.
AND...wait hold on. I had two breakouts a week or so ago and they had dried up and looked just terrible. However, after this mask.. the dryness just came off after i pat my face dry.
My overall thoughts: If i can purchase this reasonably under $3- then I'm down. Anything more then i would rather go to Lush. This is a GREAT product of you like the actual masks and don't want to deal with placing product on your face.
4. SoyJoy Banana Flavor
If you follow me on Twitter you know I go through seasonal phases with meal/snack replacement bars. I had seen Soyjoy at several supermarkets but was always hesitant to try them. To be honest, I'm just not a huge fan of SOY. I think it tastes great but I always feel moody when i have too much soy.
I decided to try this anyway.
Although it's not my favorite bar- I did enjoy it! Yes, the bana flavor was actually pretty appetizing. Now beware, this bar does not look that appetizing but it's actually pretty good. It wasn't dry ( even though it looked dry) and it was super fruity!
Overall thoughts: Thanks but no thanks? I liked it. I probably won't repurchase UNLESS i saw an interesting flavor or if I'm at an airport. Again, this is mainly due to the fact that I don't like putting soy in my body.
5. Triple Shine Sally Hansen Nail Polish- color: Reef-Raf
The picture above is from Influensters site, however i did try this product at the hospital. I personally LOVE Sally Hansen nail polishes so my review could be biased?
- I did like the color i received- it was a bright, neony, coral-pink color.
- I did apply a few (2-3) coats to get the full color payoff.
- Very shiny and neony! Great color for summer!
- The other colors in this line look fun for summer as well.
- I saw the price on this- which is around $5 and I didn't make a purchase.
Okay, so yes it's a great polish and yes $5 is not that expensive. However I think that Sally Hansen should stick to the $3-$4 range.
To be honest my favorite polish from the Sally Hansen line is the Hard as Nails Xtreme wear. They are less than $3 and i love the colors they have. Esp the lilac! It's a staple in my polish collection. In fact i have purchased backups.'
Overall review: Great polish, Great formula and color. Price needs to go down so I can make the purchase. :)
All in all I am super glad i got chosen for this box and aside from the Soyjoy I was truly surprised by how much i enjoyed everything and am Excited to make purchases on most of these products. I hope my reviews helped you make a decision on spending your dollars on these great drugstore finds! :)
Please let me know if you've tried these products and what your thoughts are and if you like these types of reviews. I would love to know!
Disclaimer: I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes. All images are my own except the Not your mother's clean freak and Sally Hansen.
Hello Everyone!! I am happy to let you all know that I finally received my VERY FIRST INFLUENSTER BOX! I received the Colgate Influenster VoxBox a few days ago for testing purposes. I am super glad i got this as one of my first boxes since I love hygiene products and I love keeping my teeth super clean and white. In fact I already used Colgate products however since my teeth have started getting sensitive lately I have been looking for a soft bristle manual brush that makes my teeth feel clean!
Below is what I CURRENTLY use:
Below is what I received in my box!
I've tried this for a day now so 3 uses and so far I am hooked. Usually I am not THAT hooked with new tooth brushes.
Just to give everyone a quick background- i have a Sonicare but i stopped using it because I don't feel like I get a deep clean as a result I prefer manual toothbrushes.
What I liked about this toothbrush is that the bristles are thinner and not round and this allow for a deeper clean. I personally like whitening toothpaste so I prefer the toothpaste I normally use (Colgate Optic white) over the one provided in this box. However I will be switching my mouthwash over from the optic white mouth wash since I felt more tingle with this one.
All in all I truly enjoyed this toothbrush. I was very surprised since I am very picky with toothbrushes. I am very happy that there is a brush out there for those with sensitive teeth that just want a good clean!
Let me know if you have any questions about my experience!
I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.
Hello Recessionista's! I know it's been a little while since i last posted anything however- I should be back and running pretty soon!
To kick it back up I ran into an article on when to Splurge and when to save this morning and couldn't agree more with. Below i have the items listed in the article with my won twist on why I agree as well as a few items I think we should consider splurging on:
1. Leather Jacket- or a lamb skin. You can find non-leather jackets that are just as great also if you're against wearing animal skin.
2. Jeans- we all know the coworker that wears ill-fitted jeans. Don't be THAT person.
3. Bra's- nothing is more embarrassing then a women with a great set of assets and a poorly fitted bra. Get one or two that fits and wash them properly. Take care of the items that make you feel and look your best!
4. Black Dress- I think when we say spend vs splurge- it doesn't mean u should go out and spend a fortune- but take the time to find one that fits you like a glove. You may get lucky and find the last AMAZING dress discounted. Just have your perfect go to dress.
5. Blazer- a fitted one. You can wear this anywhere and everywhere- haveing one great Blazer will take u from the office to the after party in style.
6. A great Work Bag- I am a huge advocate for saving up for a great bag. You can take that ONE bag with you everywhere. I work in an office 5 days a week and like a great big bag for shopping. A great work bag is ideal for someone like me. Instead i don't have to constantly purchase new bags- they'll end up costing more than the ONE investment bag.
7. Shoes- you don't need to buy a Louboutin but take a moment to purchase shoes that wont give u blisters.
Sandals- although i always say you should invest in your feet. You can always find a imitation of the high end sandals with the same comfort at a lower price. Let's be real If it's flat then they probably didn't put much effort in creating them.
Skirt and printed pants- Buy a skirt that flatters you- however most skirts don't need to be THAT tailored so you can save in this category. Printed pants come and go so I would save those extra $$$ on something you would rather splurge on.
Formal dress- you wear this ONCE. So unless you're a celebrity- I would save your precious Benjamin's in this category.
Read more here: http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/5-fashion-items-that-are-worth-a-splurge-and-4-that-aren%E2%80%99t-213602423.html
Long time no Blog! Sorry my life has been on TURBO speed and i haven't
had made time to blog :(. I have been tweeting though so connect with me on twitter for the LATEST AND GREATEST!
I ran across this great discussion on Beauty Money wasters and I could not agree more.
Here are some things I never buy:
- Shaving creams
- Eye creams
- Cuticle oil ( a nail tech told me to use Vaseline)
- Salon shampoos (unless i get them at a SUPER discount through my salon friends.
- Leave in conditioners (K-Pak) is the only one I splurged on and I remember i got that for $11.. But to be honest.. i robably would do it again. Aussies $# one works the same if not better..
- High end nail polishes. ( Do not pay more than $7 for nail polish) I'll rather pay to get my nails done..and i usually buy them with a promotion or discount at ULTA ( buy 2 get free topcoat.. etc.)
- Foundation ( i only use concealer on those special spots otherwise i go with a fresh face unless it's a wedding or Special occasion- Unless you have TERRIBLE skin ( you probably shouldn't use foundation all the time if you have acne prone skin anyway.
ENJOY! THE SHORT VIDEO IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!
HAPPY HUMP DAY!
People always ask me how I shop so much and don't break the bank.
I am a serious offender of having "TOO MUCH CLOTHES" but never enough shoes..
To be Honest... when I worked retail it was easy because after a while I just knew the days everything went on sale. I don't have the luxury of working retail anymore or having time to go shopping during the week so i just shop online.
Here are my top sites and tips for shopping online to get more BANG for your BUCK:
- Using coupon codes: I always find a coupon code to save at least 10% or score free shipping. I've scored shoes for over 40% off by Googling coupon codes. Just a couple seconds of Googling can score you an extra pair of shoes or an accessory with your savings. What's great about this is that you can save without even thinking about it. Want that full priced shoe. GET IT! Use your new member 10% off code ( which most sites will have) and you just saved money without even thinking about it. There's also always a way to get yourself out of paying shipping too.
- E-bay it: It started with my college books and then i explored into everything else on eBay. I've always had such great luck with getting books on eBay and now I've loured into finding accessories and knickknacks that are way overpriced at other retail locations.
- Craigslist: This brings me to the discussion of Craigslist- Although I wasn't a big fan in the beginning.. obviously because I'm a girl and I'm super paranoid- I have found great deals on Craigslist! My friend even scored a leather recliner for $50. I couldn't believe it at first but when I went and saw this recliner I was amazed. This recliner was worth at least $800 and looked BRAND NEW! genuine LEATHER FOR $50. Who would've thought you could HAGGLE in this country!
- Outlets: Now if you know me at all- you know that i do not believe in outlets- especially since I've always scored lower prices elsewhere or online. Also i always feel that the items i find in outlet malls were specifically made for outlets. But Hautelook, Beyond the Rack and, MYHABIT are a few places that my friends always swear by for designer fashion. Want that new trendy purse by Michael Kors- i promise you i have found it a $100 dollars cheaper on those sites only a few months after it hit the market.
- Email subscriptions- I have said this before in previous posts but subscribing to emails for your favorite designers and websites will go a long way. Create a new email and use that only for your subscription/ "spam" emails and when u want something go back and look. I found a 80% off code that was exclusive to past shoppers! 80% off. So yes i bought a $100 satin pajama for $20. No tax and free shipping.
- Inventory- Remember online inventory is typically bigger and has more variety than the local store. Which means when things go on sale- they might not sell out and they'll have to mark it down even more. I always look for shoes and find great deals online this way! I do this with Nordstrom's allll the time. Now you know my secret :)
- Thrift Stores: "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Looking to find one of the latest trends but low on cash? Thrift stores are so "IN" these days.. you're friends will join you. My one biggest advice is to find a thrift store that's not in your neighborhood- look into the more upscale neighborhoods. You can even donate your items to some places and get cash and or a gift card to use at the store! I always score some awesome accessories at thrift stores it's crazy how much you can get for just a few bucks.
- Stores to check out: Some stores I'm in love with and have sales all the time, even though their full priced items are already cheap are: asos.com, nastygal.com, modcloth.com, urbanoutfitters (their sales are AMAZING- I SCORED A BEDDING SET FOR $40), Jewelmint.com, Intimint.com, Topshop.com, stevemadden.com. I love how i can get designer or runway looking items or amazing dresses way cheaper than any other retailer. Asos.com requires some time but if you look you can always find some amazing dresses!
I always have money saving tips and it surprises me when people don't use them. I never pay full price for anything except groceries of course and I am always able to find a way to buy the things I NEED and want on a very low budget.
Let me know what else you would like to see me post about. Are you guys interested in vlogs? If so let me know!
I'm adding this video since it kinda fits this post! Enjoy:
PICTURE CREDIT: http://scm-l3.technorati.com/12/12/13/73835/online-shopping%281%29.jpg?t=20121213022325
I realized this week that the year has officially begun now in gunner mode. haha.
Everything is up and running, people no longer have excuses and school is starting for me as well.
My online class started and let's just say I am super excited about it! Business Law here I come! Actually, I am taking this as a graduate class mainly because I just love LAW.
But.. that's not what this post is about!
I have a ton of resolutions for 2013 but it all comes down to having more "ME" time.
They both go hand in hand however, I made a commitment recently..which I rarely do.
I've been getting back on my YOGA kick lately because I truly believe that I am a happier person when I go.
They always reiterate all these things about being positive and letting the past go and I find that it actually effects my positivity and outlook on life.
My gym rolled out a 30- DAY COMMITMENT TO YOGA: the best part is that this was free.
I even got a FREE log book so I can log all my yoga "feelings" after my practice.
I find that every year people make a commitment to lose weight and live healthier. But I have found that being happy with yourself naturally makes you love your body more and take care of your well being more.
This is why I made a commitment to 30 DAYS of YOGA.
Agreed... I don't actually think I'll practice YOGA everyday. But you can do YOGA at home with a podcast or YouTube video- it's the whole point of making time for "YOU"
I love that my gym made this available for the yogis since typically the runners at our gym and I can't run to save my life. I'll hike or jog but no running.
I am ENCOURAGING all of you to join a MOVEMENT. A movement that's for YOU.
You may have seen my tweets on movements and organizations that collect money - and we never see where that money goes. But when something is free and available why not?
You can join with ME on this 30 day's of YOGA or whatever activity. Photography, travel, blogging, vlogging, whatever your heart desires.
I started yesterday January 15th - February 14th. But you can start today.
Let me know what you are committing to and what it means to YOU.
Finally got the remainder of the items i wanted without breaking the bank.
I still want to go back and buy more but i really don't think that's a great start to the new year.. ahem spending more money.
I'll update you all on what i bought tonight!
1. Altuzarra Double Old Fashioned Glasses- set of 4 = $14.99 - Probably my most WANTED item from the whole collection :)
Originally $49.99 ( no way was i going to pay that.. had to order online since most stores sold out- wonder why.. they are BEAUTIFUL!)
2. Alice + Olivia Luggage = $53.99 originally 179.99
( online purchase since this was sold out in stores.. HOWEVER.. i got FREE SHIPPING and i actually need a carry on and i plan to travel this year :)) SUPER cute!
3. DVF JEWELRY BOX $14.99 originally $49.99 - sadly this may be a return, i did look through all of the boxes and thought this was the best one however i came home and saw a part of the lid had a chunk missing. Guess something hapned in shipping or the top is plainly cheap. :( i LOVE the inside though so i may make this work. sadly i only have a few days to think about it since all these products have to be returned by January 5th..
4. Rag and Bone shot glasses! $10.. ORIGINALLY $20- CURRENT PRICE: $5.99
love these... even though i am only using them as decoration right now.
5. Clothing- i have this theory that when clothing items from Designers hit Target.. at a cheaper price, they are never a good quality. Although i found cute items, including the Marc Jacobs scarf.. i found that the material was so thin it was falling apart. so i passed. Everything else has lived up and is beautiful.
To be honest i would have purchased all these items whether they were brand name or not solely based on the appearance of the items.
If you did shop the Neiman Marcus + Target collab products be sure you return any items you dont want to keep by January 5th 2013! Otherwise they won't refund the full amount you originally paid for..
Did you purchase anything from the line? if so tell me which product and if you paid full price. i would love to hear what you thought about this collaboration!
Keep it classy recessionista's!
Hello Recessionista's!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving Holiday! I know I was grateful for such a great year. Even if you weren't as blessed as I was this year- remember with every GOOD there's a bad AND you wouldn't be able to get that Happiness HIGH if you never saw the bad and ugly.. :) ever since I started looking at life that way I realized I had MUCH to be grateful for and my life def turned around for the better!
Anyways- getting to the point of CYBERMONDAY. I thought it may be worth it to give you my two cents on this day. Typically on days like Black Friday and Cyber Monday- i stick to the brands and stores i repurchase from alot. For example makeup, jewelry and clothing stores i shop frequently at. This way i know if I'm getting a good deal.
Here are some of my top sites to hit. ( yours may vary)
I already have my saved items in my cart- all i do is check on them and see if the prices have lowered- Today ALL the items had lowered anywhere from .50 to $6.00.
Depending on how high the price of the items are in your cart- I'm sure this number can vary. My items didn't go over $50.
2. The MINT family
I am a sucker for Jewelmint, Stylemint and Homemint- I'm stocking up on the items I've been eying since they are running a 50% deal through out the weekend and today.
3. Sephora- I don't know about you but Sephora is my number one spot to hit up during Black friday. Everything else that i forgot i grab on Cyber Monday- You can save a lot if you stock up on these days. I stocked up on alot of goodies for 2013! Some packed palettes and combo deals may be worth getting. I scored full sized products i use frequently for a fraction of the price!
4. Kohls and Macy's
Department stores run all kinds of specials. Kohls and Macy's are two i know most about. (I don't put Nordstrom in that category). Currently Macy's is running specials on Jewelry items and Kohls has 20 percent off and free standard shipping! ( I hear Kohls is great for the yogis and athletes on your lists)
5. Nordstroms- I put this in it's own category - Because i do not shop for clothing items on this website- I must be there in person to see it and feel it! Purses and shoes and accessories are a top hit. But be aware... sometimes their discounts aren't the lowest they can get throughout the year. So if it's a must buy item that you need for a gift go ahead and purchase- otherwise i would stay away from the most wanted items till after the holidays. Their annual sales are much much better!
I love Express. As soon as i get an email- I'm the first to order those jeans or dresses I've been eyeing for weeks. The site shut down on Black Friday and the stores were packed. Thankfully i got my shop on Thanksgiving day. Only downside is i paid shipping. If you held out to today- you won. They are running 40% off EVERYTHING yes including sales items and free shipping. This one is worth it to me.. ESP if there is a holiday dress you're looking at getting!
7. Free shipping- The best part of Cyber Monday are the free shipping offers. Which is the ONLY reason i shop online.
Verdict: If you can pass then go ahead and pass on cyber Monday- but if there is something you've been wanting- it wouldn't hurt to see the promos running today. :) Also, remember there are better deals outside the holiday season so waiting till January on something for you couldn't hurt. Plus you may get two things instead of one with the lower prices after the holiday season
Happy Cyber Monday Recessionista's!
Let me know if you know of any good Cyber Monday deals worth shopping at today!
I have always been the girl that saved money when eating out. Well.. in high school that is. But once i got to college and started going out with friends more often- i learned to really keep my food budget in check.- As a result i always had money to go out with friends!
Here are some ways that I've learned to save and still be able to go out with friends:
- Eating before you go out: This helps you make healthier choices because that way you aren't thiniking aboutfilling your stomach and actually think about the taste of the food
- Getting a box to go : Getting a to go box for a large portion helps you plan your next meal- and that's one less meal you have to cook or buy! Not only do you save time and money- but eating in smaller portions keeps your waistline in check also!
- Groupon/Living Social/ Daily Deals: I've said it before- i have a separate email account for all these sites i use. I get daily updates on restaurants. Whether it's studio movie grill or that new restaurant I've wanted to try. Sometimes even bakeries.. I snag a 2 for one deal and use that next time i go out with friends. This is a great idea for those of you who pick up every other tab- do not do this on a first date but for those of you in relationships- the guys always love when u pick up a tab here and there.
- Restaurant.com- I've used this just as much as I've used Groupon. In fact i used this on an anniversary dinner. I have found great restaurants this way too! You purchase a certificate for let's say a couple bucks and you get a certificate to use at a restaurant. What's great about restaurant.com is that you can find codes online to purchase these certificates. I still have 4 that i purchased all for less than $2. They are saving me at least $25-30 per check. :) Total dealeo!
- Social-Media: Using Social Media to find specials is great. i don't know how many times in colege i got on twitter to find out deals for lunch. My favorite restaurants around school always had specials during the week. This is a great way to enjoy your favorite restaurants and snag a deal on the meals you enjoy without breaking the bank.
- Google- Last but not least- i like to ask my friends and Google the restaurant before i decide to go. I have learned to refuse to go to restaurants where i don't enjoy the food. Bad food is the worst. Reading a review or 10 can save you not only money but also a night of indigestion. Looking at menus before i go out helps me have an idea about what i want to order so I don't order some random dish. I never order salads- the are always very pricy compared to the other menu options and never fill me up. I almost always go for an appetizer or burger. Something like that i know I'll enjoy yet is filling for it's value.
- Skip the dessert: although lately several restaurants have mini desserts available for a few bucks- i have been always the one who declined the dessert- even when my waiter was hot and the dessert menu was making my mouth water.. I'll grab a mint and call it a day.You can get a whole cake and have coffee or tea for half that cost- for all your friends. If you do order dessert- split it with a friend. How many of us actually have room for all that cake anyway? :)
- Cash: I'm really awful at this one- but having cash when you go out with friends will help you split the bill and pay your part without having to pay for other people's large portions or worst their pricey drinks. I can't say enough how many times i got screwed over by ordering a appetizer and water and had to pay part of my friends beers and steaks. Having some extra cash would've definitely saved me money in the long haul.
Sticking with these few rules has always helped me stay in budget and always have money to go out! Don't let a few bad mistakes rule your life as a recessionista- you can always find a way to afford to go out. Hope you found this advice useful!
Let me know if you have any other ideas!
xoxo miss lada
My last Post was a complete debbie downer :(
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the products i have received.
Speaking of pictures... my picture quality should be upgrading soon!! on a recessionista budget of course.
Actually in my latest video i mention how i am working all the time.
I am always on the go but i am also in GRAD school right now. Grad school is more than half my paycheck so i'll be a recessionista for quite a while.
Meanwhile. i hope you liked my cravebox and consider getting yourself one as well!
I found this cravebox well worth every penny.
The razor, soap , and protein bar were all things i would have purchased on a weekly basis which would have cost me more than $11- The brands are high quality and the scrub and eye treatment are the best gifts i have received in a while.
I dare you all to check it out if you have a spare $11. You can choose which box you are interested and they will randomly choose the winners- till they have more openings for their monthly subscriptions
Feel free to comment or message me!
Hi Recessionista's, I have some good but bad news..I received my long anticipated cravebox today! I created my video and nothing is working. My computer is fully capable of exporting the video but it's just not working :(
But if you follow me on twitter @misslada you will be able to see pictures and when i post the video!
Hope you all had a great friday!
oh PS meanwhile you can check out this article on how to save BIG $$ @TARGET. Tarje.. in my book
My jewelmint and style mint pieces have arrived!
I was so excited when they did.
My favorite thing about them is that they give you FREE SHIPPING.
As a new member i did receive a discount on the items which was nice because that gives me a chance to test their pieces before i may 29.99- as a recessionista that is still a lot for a shirt or a piece of jewelry.
I am more than pleased with my purchase! I have put this on every cardigan and light jacket i have for a week! its sturdy it elegant and its very well made- which is hard to find!
Okay now for STYLEMINT:
To start i have always been a fan of Mary-kate and Ashley. I could never really afford their clothes. I always go to niemans and imagine i can afford to buy them but then i replicate my own versions. What i love about their style and clothing lines is that its very comfortable and well made. Which is why i turned to stylmint.. i wanted affordable edgy pieces i can use. They have so many styles you can choose from. Although unlike jewel mint- i had very few selections.. i was able to narrow it down to one. I chose an elegant shirt- Ballet flat Melrose. Yes! i did pick a color instead of my regular neutrals and blacks :)
check it out!
I chose a size bigger than what they recommended. I wanted a loose shirt. I keep wearing this shirt over and over again. It's so soft and well made i could sleep in it and then wear it with a pair of slacks to work. I am deeply in LOVE!
It has small details which make it beautiful and its well designed and the cut is very flattering!
I am definitely looking forward to purchasing clothes from these sites again.
SHOEMINT- has yet to impress me but if your deeply into shoes i would check them out!
P.S Jewelmint and style mint are having a specials this weekend in honor of the Oscars! Once you sign up remember to read their program and credits. make sure you understand that once you start purchasing they charge you 29.99 whether u make a purchase or not- unless u decide to not purchase within that month :) u must declare to remove your credit within the first 5 days of the month.
20% OFF- MKA20
60% off- jmsale60 and 50% off: jmsale 50 - certain items ( almost all)
I found a great article that talks about the best days to find bargains.
I want to also add that Tuesdays are the main markdown days for several stores:
enjoy this article
I can't count the number of times that have run to work and forgot breakfast or haven't had time to eat breakfast at home. What's the outcome of that? Well.. i can't starve myself.. so i end up running to the cafeteria of our building and getting some yogurt or coffee or eggs and more yummy food.
This ends up costing me anywhere from $4- $10. I personally don't enjoy paying much for breakfast- even though its the most important MEAL of the day to me.
So i have prepared a breakfast plan to keep my budget under control.
Abundance- Apples and Cinnamon Oatmeal- $1.70
Special K Protein Bars- make me full till LUNCH! ( 18/$11-SAM'S)
Green Smoothie for weight loss ( thanks lindawagner.net)
- 1-2 bananas
- 1/2 cup frozen peaches
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- a couple handfuls of spinach
- ice (if desired)
I actually did lose a couple pounds on that smoothie! But warning- it does cause a bit of gas..
I hope you all liked my suggestions! I really do think it's important to budget meals carefully. Each dollar relays adds up. That way you have that extra cash when you really want to dine out!
P.S i gave up drinking- it really saves you money$$. Even though i'm not much of a drinker to begin with, refraining from happy hour specials has saved me a couple $20's.
Have a great week Recessionista's!
One of my new years resolutions was to spend less and be super frugal with my money since graduate school is so expensive. But working full time means i need to dress nice and dress for the job i want.
Although i do not wear suits to work- i figured i should hit up all the sales this past weekend to load up on some essential pieces suitable for work- yet still stylish for after work and weekend brunches:
Some things i picked up:
Cardigan- in black and tan- each under $20
I also picked up some black and white vneck tops ( each <$15) for under suits and cardigans- no pictures :(
Express always seems to have great stuff at relatively great prices.
One tip i can give is always keep in mind what you need and if it's a great price. I bought the coat even though it was 76 degrees outside and i was wearing a tshirt. But knowing the state i live in- it dropped down 40 degrees really quickly.
- I also try to stick to classy pieces that i always know will be in style- or that fit me so well that i would wear it anyway.
I really want to do a work bag blog- but i need to do some big hunting- stay tuned- they usually have great deals on bags in the Spring Time.
Stay warm recessionistas!!!
Okay, so i want to make sure you al know that i will make it a GOAL to blog more. i always have these great ideas but never blog about them. RESOLUTION! To start the year off right i decided to post about the first thing i saw and LOVED!
MORE WAYS TO WEAR SCARFS. and i would like to thank this site (scarves.net) :) for all the amazing scarf ideas i get.
wear your hearts out in these great ideas and have a safe and Happy new Years!